Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Just a little trip to the ER

As it happened, I got another virus.  I've had an upset stomach and a very mild fever since a few days before I went to Mayo.  Actually, my temperature was the only thing that wasn't normal when I was there.  I finally felt bad enough to take a little trip to the ER.  One benefit of being on immunosuppressant drugs was being sent to a smaller, private waiting area.  I was thankful not to have to wait in the usual holding pen with the dozen other patients and their germs who were there with me that evening.  Boy was this a familiar sight.


Notice the giant wad of self-adhesive bandage wrapped around my right hand.  The superstar nurse decided to draw one of my blood cultures from a vein just below my pinky joint.  I have a nice little bruise to account for it.  At least he did the other further up my forearm and then used the hole for my IV.  For the reduction in the number of holes he put in my arm, I will forgive the bruise.  Two bags of fluid, 2 fresh holes in my arm, $100, and 5-1/2 hours later, I was released to go home with a probably just a stomach virus.  My numbers all looked pretty good...no different from the previous week's numbers at Mayo with the exception of a slight increase in my BUN.  That is pretty typical of when I get dehydrated.  I'll chalk it up to good times while being immuno-compromised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment